Metropolitan Abattoirs c1925
Dimensions (H x W x D)
49.4 x 64.5 cm
(handwritten) METROPOLITAN ABATTOIRS / MOTORMEN & ASSISTANTS / Delivery of Meat Branch
City of Melbourne Art and Heritage Collection
Group portrait of motormen and assistants from the Metropolitan Abattoirs Delivery of Meat branch. From 1849 abattoirs were run by the City of Melbourne. They were located all over the city and eventually died out when refrigeration became more efficient. When Angliss Meatworks and Flemington closed in 1977, it signalled the end of metropolitan slaughtering.
This photograph was printed on paper supplied by S.P. Bond Ltd. Photo Stock Merchants of 51 Rundle Street, Adelaide.