Separation Memorial 1950
Castlemaine slate, sandstone, granite, marble
Dimensions (H x W x D)
THIS TABLET / WAS ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE / THE ONE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY / OF THE PROCLAMATION OF / VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT / ON THIS SITE ON 11TH NOVEMBER 1850 / AND WAS UNVEILED ON 11TH NOVEMBER 1950 / BY HIS EXCELLENCY / THE GOVERNOR OF VICTORIA / GENERAL SIR DALLAS BROOKS / KCB, KMG, DSO, RM. / JAMES S. DISNEY JP (LORD MAYOR) / H.S. WOOTTON CMG (TOWN CLERK)
City of Melbourne Art and Heritage Collection
Location: LaTrobe and King Sts, Flagstaff Gardens
Mixed stone sculpture including Castlemaine slate, sandstone granite and marble in layered brick-like structure.
Flagstaff Gardens is a heritage site of much significance to Melbourne. It is the oldest public gardens, the settlement’s first burial site and the place at which the flag would be raised to signal an incoming ship. Flagstaff Gardens was also the site from which news of Victoria’s separation from NSW was signalled to Melbourne residents through the lighting of a great bonfire. This sculpture was created to mark the centenary of the proclamation of separation.