Map 16 – Aerial view of Kensington and Flemington 1967

City of Melbourne

Registration number

1897223

Artist/maker

City of Melbourne

Title

Map 16 – Aerial view of Kensington and Flemington

Production date

1967

Medium

photograph on paper on linen, metal

Dimensions (H x W x D)

92 x 96 cm

Inscriptions

16

Credit line

City of Melbourne Art and Heritage Collection

Keywords

aerial photograph, 1967, Kensington, Flemington, Newmarket, Newmarket Saleyards, Flemington Racecourse, Maribyrnong River, Holland Estate, Housing Commission of Victoria, public housing

Summary

This aerial photograph is part of a collection of maps stored in a wooden cabinet. The series was created by the Melbourne City Council Engineering Services department in the late 1960s. The photographs document the Melbourne City Council municipality, particularly focusing on the areas west, north-west and south of Melbourne CBD. These areas have undergone huge urban transformation in the time since these photographs have been taken.

This photograph documents the areas of Kensington and Flemington. In the top centre of the photograph, The Newmarket Saleyards are visible. The Newmarket Saleyards were first established in 1861 on the periphery of Melbourne city. The saleyards operated for more than a century on the corner of Smithfield Road and Racecourse Road until they were closed in 1987 and transformed into a housing estate called the Lynch’s Bridge Project. This photograph also features Flemington Racecourse (upper left), the Maribyrnong River (lower left), the Housing Commission of Victoria's Holland Estate towers (lower right).